Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 9 Friday


We have decided to explore downtown a little bit more today, I am in need of a notebook. On a previous walk with another couple, we were pointed to a shop that has good prices on stationary and writing utensils. So we are heading that way.


Part of the 30 minute walk is on a street that is generally known as walking street, and at the busy end of walking street in a restaurant called “Elegance” We’ve passed it several times, just enough to recognize the name. As we pass this morning we are greeted in english, “Good morning, may I help you? Are you ready to eat?” Slightly surprised and very impressed at the warmness and openness of this gentleman, “yes,” we reply and go in and sit down. 


In meeting one other American over here I have heard that this place has a good pizza, so I am convinced that the food is safe and the service decent.


Farshid (Far-sheed) is the head waiter at Elegance, and speaks pretty good english. He tells us a little about himself, he was (I think) born in the USA, he has a brother that lives in San Diego as a retired airline pilot. He has visited the USA a couple times, and has visited other countries quite a bit--he lived in Japan for a year to learn how to buy good fish. We like him immediately and he is the most western local that we have met. He is a completely a dignified gentleman’s servant--he took my paper napkin five or six times during the course of the meal and replaced it with a new one. It seemed his one desire was to make us feel as comfortable as possible, and his second desire almost matched the first--to make his restaurant feel warm, welcome and inviting. He fully succeeded at both goals. I’m certain we will dine at “Elegance” at least once a week, if only just to greet our new friend Farshid.


Later  in the day I needed to make some copies, so I went alone back downtown. An interesting thing happened while I was walking back, it was just after sundown. Perhaps I need to preface a little--I get looked at EVERYWHERE I go. I might as well be painted purple, it seems as though everywhere we go I am looked at as though I just stepped off a UFO. I am getting used to it a little, and generally when you smile at them and give a nod they will respond in like kind. So, I am walking through downtown, headed home, it’s about 6:45PM and dark, when a young man stops me on the corner. “You are obviously not from around here--are you lost, do you need any help?” I almost laugh, thinking, “do I really stand out that much? I guess so...” “No,” I reply, “I know right where I’m at and I know how to get where I’m going, but thank you very much for asking.” This truly is one of the friendliest places I have ever been in my travels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment