Wednesday, January 5, 2011

We're really on our way now

Back in Florida, and it seems as though we'll make it all the way to Azerbaijan this time.


I thought about titling this post as "How not to leave on a three-year journey," but that is not a very happy title. Accurate, but not very happy. I suppose I suffer from a bit of an invincibility complex, I always take on more that can be accomplished, and I do so because I (still) have a hard time saying no. So, being afflicted with a belief that I can accomplish nearly anything--coupled with a history of severe procrastination--I find myself at the end of my time in the Hometown with a ridiculously full plate of work and wanting to spend quality time with my family and loved ones.


I should have stopped saying yes to any more work about three weeks ago, (my wife said six weeks) but it starts getting around that, "John is leaving town" so everybody has one-last-thing that needs to be lettered or pinstriped, and Tony offered me to work at Spirit literally as much as I want to, so I am seeing the opportunity to make some good money just before leaving town and I find myself working 12-16 hours a day and trying to spend a couple hours each day with family. Besides the fact that I love my work, it makes for a great opportunity to work way too much and not see my family and friends nearly as much as I would have liked, and still ended up not accomplishing all that I hoped to do.


I would like to dedicate this paragraph to my daughter A. She went with us to the airport this morning, and I am so thankful for her. I know our departure came too soon, I loved the time we've spent in the past couple weeks. I am so thankful that you have a great job now, and I feel like we are in a better place than ever. I am totally proud of the person that you have turned out to be, and I trust that you will be fine and better than fine as we run off to the middle-east on this adventure. Thank you for coming to see us off this morning!


We left this morning at 6:26 after getting up at 4:40. We had to make one stop on the way to the airport and then stop off to see my mom and hug her neck, then we got to the airport and hugged the kids one last time. We flew to Houston, Texas and had a very short layover there, about 25 minutes, and then on to Orlando, arriving at 12:20 local time. Mom and Dad W. were there to greet us and pick us up, and here we are at their house for a few days yet. We will fly out next Tuesday, bound for Baku.



2 comments: