Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 22 Thursday


We’ve been here almost a month now, and I would say that we have a pretty good grasp on what it takes to live here, and we'll be fine.


However, there are a lot of things that are strange to me here, that are common to everyone living here--I suppose it is a factor of risk acceptance and sheer poverty that has caused conditions to be as they are. Add in a good-sized helping of dysfunctional government and crippling bureaucracy and you get the things I see every day. I wish I felt enough liberty to tell you about some of the more unsavory things here, but, since I cannot do much of anything to directly influence the issues, I will refrain from details that are, shall we say, unfortunate.


Strange to me that is common? Complete void of any traffic laws, especially speed limits in the city. Lane? Whats a lane? Most of the streets in this city are one-way, and the horn is used as a friendly signal that I am passing you. Three-wide? Sure. 55mph down a residential street? Sure. Oh, and busses are allowed to run the opposite way down a one-way, so be sure to look both ways before crossing a one-way street. And backing up 500 yards to turn on another street? Why not. I promise I will one day post some video, it’s as good as any race day.


Strange to me that is common? Park your car anywhere it will fit. Or anywhere it will almost fit. On the sidewalks. On the curb, half on the curb, in the street. In the middle of the street.


Strange to me that is common? Gas pipes. I’ve got to get some better photos of this one day, you won’t believe me just from reading this. I am not kidding, the natural-gas pipes that feed all the heating and cooking in this region are all over the place. Usually a five-inch pipe, laying on the ground or hanging on the sides of the buildings like strands of rope, passing over streets and alleys, and the individual feeds are one-inch pipe welded into the big pipe. Hmmm, support a five inch gas pipe every 30-40 feet? Sounds good to me... The welds look like they were done by a one-armed drunk man. At midnight. In the rain. While being attacked by a cat. 


Does this look safe to you?
Strange to me that is common? Electricity. I have at least six wiring connections in this house that are just twisted together--no wire nuts, no tape. I have seen this method of electrician work a hundred times. The main panel in this house has two breakers in it. I have no idea the amperage usage of this house, but the line coming in from the pole service is much much smaller than you would see in the USA. Perhaps it’s the 220 volt, but I would be surprised if it is a 12 gauge wire. I have seen several “blade” style switches, not one seemed safe. I have heard stories that as recent as five years ago men would pull out fuses and jam a piece of steel in it’s place--to the point of exploding transformers.


No, I don't see any problem...
I suppose I would blame all of this on a dysfunctional code-system--if there is any code at all. And bribing an inspector is not unheard of. There was a thirteen story building in Baku that collapsed while under construction, there was no steel or rebar in any of the concrete. It made a difference for a while--it killed a couple dozen men--but, like I said, most of this way of life is an acceptance of the risk of cutting corners, mostly because there is not enough money to do it right, and an acceptance of the fact that this is the way it’s been done for years. The Electricity works, mostly, and the gas works, mostly, so why invest the effort to do it any other way? No one cares. The government is not yet evolved enough to take interest in protecting its citizens. The recent events in Egypt prove that when the citizens get enough of an uncaring government things will change. Things here are crazy bad to a foreigner like me, but hey, I come from America.




No comments:

Post a Comment