Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 27 Tuesday


Yaver was here this morning to do the housekeeping but ended up doing as much language tutoring as we were both working on our Azeri language studies this morning. It was funny, our diction is still very slow, we both have only a couple of phrases that we can recite quickly, the rest of the time we have to struggle as we think of every part of every word to say. We are learning more words, but the recall and then getting them out of the mouth still take a lot of work. 


Yaver is patient and helps us with the pronunciation of words and the proper construction of sentences. I have to remember to put the words in the right order or it doesn’t make sense to the locals. For example, “Man bir az Azarbaycan dillinda danashuram,”  is literally translated word-for-word as, “I a little Azerbaijan language speak.” Which is really messed up to my American mind. But that’s the way it is. 


We go to language lessons in the afternoon, our teacher would like us to remember more phrases rather than construction of words, like the example above. “If you remember it as, ‘da-dat-da-dat-da-da’ instead of the actual words...” but I don‘t know. I like to know what I’m saying...


It has been cold weather and I feel a little sick when we get home, so I nap by the heater. I am feeling a little better four hours later, and the blog is now up-to-date again. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment