Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 54 Monday

Beloved and I decided that perhaps it is time to have a little more separation in our day-to-day lives. Don't get me wrong--I love spending time with her, and she with me. It's just that, since we have arrived here we are almost with each other 24/7, which is great, because we really enjoy each other. However, this is not a normal state, and once I get to work a normal schedule this will come to an end anyway, so I am off to the Bank this morning, building some sort of routine.


The Bank
The Bank is an easy, downhill walk of about ten minutes. I arrive at 9:00, which is the normal start time for the workers there. It is a big but simple room that I share with three, sometimes four other workers. One day I will remember all their names, but that is not today, sorry! They are friendly but very focused people so it is a quiet place except when the phone rings--for some reason every phone I have heard ring in this country is way, way, way louder than it needs to be. Someone explain this to me? One is the chief accountant, one is the head of something and the third is her assistant. The desk I am sitting at is also occasionally occupied by the head IT guy of the Bank.


The time is spent in some design concepts for a new logo/branding of the bank, and a couple brochure ideas. I also spend the time in language studies--it seems there is always time for that. There are occasionally people and co-workers coming around, it is nice to surrounded by the language. Just hearing it is helpful. Not a lot of words are familiar to me, but some are, so it is good practice.


One of the co-workers to come in this morning is a gentleman named Azad. One of the things the Bank offers besides loans is training sessions for business owners, he is the director of this entity and an associate of the organization though not an employee of the bank. He has an appointment with England in the office next door, and after that meeting he and England come back into the room. "Azad would like to know if you would be willing to teach a course on marketing," England says. It would not be to clients, but to the instructors of the training organization so that they could offer the information to the clients. It is a gracious offer, one that I am happy to accept. I will spend the next few days putting together some questions so that I can better target specifically what they would like to know. The training session will come up in April, should be fun.


In the afternoon I join back up with Beloved, she has been asked to sit in on some english language speaking tests at the Training House. It is about 15 minutes beyond the bank, so we walk together. The language tests are poorly attended, 6 out of 10 show up, but it is worth the while to be there.


As we are leaving we are talking about what to have for dinner. We decide home-fried  potatoes with onions and melted cheese on top. Yummy! "Wouldn't it be good if we could get some bacon too?" This is a point of laughter--of course it would be good, but there is only about 20% chance that the market will have any today. There is only one market in town that we have seen it at, and it is only about 15 minutes walk out of the way, so we wager the walk. We've only gotten it once before, it comes in a block, not sliced, but it is pretty good. No dice at the market but we get a good walk, so it's a good day for the diet and exercise plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment