Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 62 Tuesday

Novrus! 


Novrus is a regional holiday that celebrates the coming of spring in conjunction with the spring equinox.  It is a two-day celebration, this year recognized on March 20-21. However, Each Tuesday for the month prior to Novrus is a celebration as well. There are many nuances to the holiday, most center around family and community, like this little tradition that I totally missed out on...


Twice today I heard banging on the gate and on our neighbors gate. When I looked through the peephole there was no-one there. The tradition is, children leave their hat on the ground in front of the door and knock, then run and hide. The party answering the door must leave candy or goodies of some fashion in the hat--kinda like trick-or-treat. I wish I had known how it all works, I would have loved to been able to bless the neighborhood kids instead of being a stick in the mud. I hope I have an opportunity to redeem myself next week.


The four Tuesdays' prior to Novrus have themes to the parties that take place on the evening of each of these days--earth, water, wind, and fire. Tonight was fire. Lots of fire. about 8:00 I thought the furnace was scorching something...no, the whole neighborhood smelled of smoke, and my house--being as drafty as a barn--was being filled with the aroma of smoke.


It gets better! About 11:00 the neighbors across the wall to the west started playing music really really loud. I got out of bed, put on my shoes and went into the back yard to see a huge red glow and dozens of hot embers dancing up and down, some even in my yard. The music was like something from the scene of a drunken camel oasis party--and way too loud for 11:00 at night. I can tell right now that for next week's actual Novrus party I am going to have to shoot video with sound--photos are not even beginning to do it justice! Hey--it's Novrus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment