Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 60 Sunday

Beloved and I have had a busy week, so we decided to spend the day inside our own four walls and relax a little bit.


We try to do something enriching on Sundays, we meet with friends or listen to a lecture or something like that. Since we were not getting out today we watched a movie that I had wanted to see for some time, "Invictus."


I highly recommend this film. It tells a story of great personal sacrifice for a cause that a man believed was bigger than himself. It is a story of forgiveness and reconciliation on an epic scale. It is a story of tremendous investment into a project that would unite people in such a way that they overcome their prejudices and personal hatred.


It got me thinking about all the things that we take for granted day-to-day, the fact that we are so caught up in our own lives that we fail to see how much of a difference we could make in the lives of others if we just would. It takes some guts to commit to get your hands dirty and do something. Other stories I can recommend like "Pay it Forward" or "Blindside" remind us that we can make a difference in someone else's life. Maybe not to the scale of taking a homeless kid off the streets and giving him a college education, but you can buy an extra cheeseburger at McDonalds when you see an obviously needy person standing around the parking lot and give it away. What's the worst that could happen? They say, "no thanks" and you have an extra cheeseburger for dinner or tomorrows lunch.


I guess I'm just all stirred up, but I'd rather be stirred up than clogged up. Our life is a conduit--a pipe. It has been said that a pool gets stagnant when water flows in and there is no "flow" out. We have been so blessed--we, all of us, need to remember to recognize this fact and keep the "flow" going. Ever bought someone's lunch that you didn't even know? It's a blast. Ever been at the gas station when a young mother is stopping the pump at $1.80? I have. You know what I did? I swiped my card and filled up her tank. It is so much fun to see the tears of gratitude that $25 can buy. Yeah, I've been scammed too, but I also believe that what is sowed with a good conscience still brings a harvest. The "flow" is still going!


Take it to heart, think it over and look for something that is do-able for you. The opportunity to change your city is all around you. It can cost as little as $1.00 to change someone's day for the better.


Does anyone care? Prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment